Eight Reasons to Take the "No Text or Next" Pledge:
- I will only use text to communicate short clear messages that can’t be misunderstood. Like “I am running late,” “I am here,” “I am thinking of you,” “I miss you,” I love you” etc.
- I will not use texting to ask questions that require more than a yes or no answer. When I am asked a question that requires a response greater than yes or no, I will respond, “This is probably not a text conversation – Can we talk?”
- I will not use text to wimp out of difficult conversations where tone of voice and eye contact are required for understanding.
- I will insist on phone or in-person communication when I want to understand someone better and when being understood is important to me.
- I will not continue to communicate with someone that I have met via chat or a dating app after 3 days of instant messaging communication without a plan to talk via the phone or meet in-person.
- “Playful” text (with or without photos) are reserved for close family, friends and partners ONLY.
- When meeting someone new, especially when dating is a consideration, I will ask that texting and instant messaging not be used for 30 days, as this type of communication creates a false sense of intimacy and unspoken expectations that KILL relationships.
- I will not use texting or instant messaging to bully anyone and if I am being bullied I will simply respond “NEXT” and not give this person any more of my attention. This is also good strategy for dealing with negative “Comment Trolls” on blog and social posts.